Resolution of the 8th Meeting of the 12th Central Committee of the Communist Party on the Strategy for Sustainable Development of Vietnam's Sea-Based Economy by 2030, Vision to 2045
- Make Vietnam a strong sea power;
- Develop a sustainable sea-based economy;
- Shape the marine ecosystem culture;
- Adapt to climate change and sea rise level;
- Prevent pollution and degradation of the sea environment, coastal landslides and coastal erosion; and
- Recover and protect important marine ecosystems.
Next to that and pursuant to section 3(b), the Strategy sets out specific objectives with the target year 2030. Notably, it sets out objectives for the environment and for the response to climate change and sea level rise:
- Evaluate the potential and values of important sea resources.
- Prevent, control and dramatically reduce the sea pollution; and give priority to reducing ocean plastic waste within the region.
- Manage and protect the marine ecosystems in coastal regions and on islands; increase the area of the marine and coastal protected areas; recover the area of the coastal mangrove forest.
- The potential of disaster risk management, and of observing the sea environment, climate change and sea level rise through technological methods must reach the same as the one of other developed States in the regions.
As one of the major proposed policies, the Strategy mentions protecting the environment; protecting and sustainably developing marine biodiversity; actively responding to climate change and sea level rise; and preventing and controlling natural disasters.
By 2030, recover the area of the coastal mangrove forest and the minimum result must be equal to the result in 2000
By 2030, increase the area of the marine and coastal protected areas; such area must achieve at least 6% of the natural area of national seas
By 2030, 100% of the coastal economic zones, coastal industrial zones and coastal urban areas must be planned and built towards sustainability, ecosystems, intelligence and adaptation to climate change and sea level rise