National Policy for Disaster Preparedness and Management
Details the mechanisms and structures aimed at effective management of disasters including: vulnerability assessments, mitigation, preparedness, and response and recovery. Explicitly sites climate variability, climate change, and environmental degradation among the increasing vulnerabilities Uganda faces and needs to prepare for.
Outlines the Aims of the Policy:
1. to set policy objectives for disaster risk management
2. provide a broad policy framework for cross-sectoral collaboration on objectives, principles, and strategies
3. establish an integrated approach to disaster management that streamlines response across sectors
4. promote behavioural change towards disaster management
5. establish an institutional framework
6. establish a monitoring and evaluation system
7. provide for effective information management to facilitate the collection, storage and analysis of disaster management information.