Long-Term Climate Strategy, 2021
This document aims to outline the path to reach net zero emissions by 2050, a goal decided by the Federal Council on August 28, 2019. The strategic principles set out in this document are as following:
- Switzerland will take advantage of the opportunities presented by a systematic transition to net zero.
- Switzerland will assume its climate policy responsibility.
- Priority will be given to reducing domestic emissions.
- Emissions will be reduced across entire value chains.
- All energy sources will be used effectively taking account of their optimal usage potential.
- The Swiss Confederation and the cantons will gear their planning activities to net zero in all climate- relevant areas.
- The transition to net zero will be carried out in a socially acceptable way.
- The transition to net zero will be achieved in an economically viable way.
- The transition to net zero will also improve environmental quality.
- The Long-Term Climate Strategy is based on openness to all types of technology.