Spain flag
Spain

Long Term Decarbonisation Strategy 2050 (ELP 2050)

legislation type Executive
Strategy
Passed in 2020
The route established in the Long-Term Decarbonisation Strategy (ELP 2050) will reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 90% by 2050 compared to 1990. The remaining 10% will be absorbed by carbon sinks. It is a strategic document that shows the many opportunities for job creation and economic growth. It presents a scenario based on existing technology and knowledge, and offers the signals for investment. The ELP 2050 marks a route that will allow a final consumption of fully renewable energy by the middle of the century, which is meant to increase the competitiveness of the Spanish economy and generate positive effects on health, biodiversity and adaptation to climate change.

Documents

  • Reduce GHG emissions by 90% relative to 1990 levels
    Economy-wide | Target year: 2050 | Base year: 1990
  • 100% renewable energy to account for the electricity sector
    Energy | Target year: 2050
  • Reduce GHG emissions by 23% relative to 1990 levels
    Economy-wide | Target year: 2030 | Base year: 1990
  • Renewable energy sources should account for 42% of energy consumed by 2030
    Energy | Target year: 2030
  • Improve energy efficiency by 39.5% relative to baseline of community regulations
    Energy | Target year: 2030
  • Renewable energy sources should account for 74% of energy mix by 2030
    Energy | Target year: 2030
  • Carbon neutrality by 2050
    Economy-wide | Target year: 2050
  • Renewable energy sources should account for 97% of energy mix by 2050
    Energy | Target year: 2050
  • Reduce energy imports to 13%
    Energy | Target year: 2050
  • Electrify above 50% of the economy
    Economy-wide | Target year: 2050
  • Transport sector to run on at least 28% of renewable energy
    Transport | Target year: 2030
from the Grantham Research Institute
from the Grantham Research Institute
Publication banner
Climate Change Laws of the World uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about cookies >>