Act on the System to Manage the Emissions of Greenhouse Gases and Other Substances
This Act sets forth the following:
- Responsibilities of the National Centre for Emission Balancing and Management;
- The principles of the operation of the National System for Emission Balancing and Forecasting;
- The principles of the management of emissions of GHGs and other substances;
- The principles of the operation of the National Registry of the Kyoto Units and emission allowance;
- The principles of trading in and managing the Kyoto units;
- The principles of the operation of the National Green Investment Scheme and the Climate Account;
- The terms and conditions of the management of the Joint Implementation projects in the territory of the Republic of Poland; and
- The terms and conditions of the management outside the territory of the Republic of Poland for the Joint Implementation projects, and the Clean Development Mechanism projects.
Projects implemented in following areas can be considered for implementation under the GIS Act: (i) energy efficiency; (ii) clean coal technologies; (iii) replacement of high-emission by low-emission fuel; (iv) avoidance or reduction of GHG emissions from the transport sector; (v) use of renewable energy sources; (vi) avoidance or reduction of methane emissions through recycling and use in power generation; (vii) GHG sequestration; (viii) actions to reduce or avoid GHG emissions, to absorb CO2 and adapt to climate change; (ix) research and development of renewable energy sources and advanced and innovative environmentally-friendly technologies; (x) educational activities.