Climate Change Policy Framework for Jamaica
The objectives of the Policy Framework are:
- To mainstream climate change considerations into national policies and development planning and to build the country's capacity to implement climate change adaptation and mitigation activities.
- To support the institutions responsible for research, monitoring and projections on climate change, to facilitate decision-making and strategic actions at all levels.
- To facilitate and coordinate the national response to the impacts of climate change and promote low carbon development.
- To improve communication at all levels on climate change impacts and also adaptation and mitigation related opportunities.
- To mobilize climate financing for adaptation and mitigation initiatives.
- To encourage the private sector to embrace climate change imperatives and promote the development and implementation of technologies and processes that contribute to climate change adaptation and mitigation initiatives.
On the basis of this Policy Framework, relevant sectors are to develop or update individual plans addressing climate change adaptation and mitigation, taking into account the following principles:
- Sustainable use of natural resources
- Multi-sectoral approach to climate change
- Public participation and collaboration
- The Precautionary Approach
- Transparency and accountability
- Best science
- Polluter Pays Principle
- Inter- and intra-generational equity
The Policy Framework also provides for specific strategies, legislation and policies to be adopted and implemented, including:
- Enactment of framework for climate change mitigation and adaptation;
- Development of a Climate Financing Strategy;
- Development of Research, Technology, Training and Knowledge Management;
- Regional and International Engagement and Participation;
- Promotion of Consultative Processes and Communication to Improve Public Participation in Mitigation and Adaptation Response Measures;
- Strengthening Climate Change Governance Arrangements;
- Development and incorporation of mechanisms and tools to mainstream climate change into ecosystem protection and land-use and physical planning
The implementation of the Framework is to be overseen and supported by the Ministry of Water, Land, Environment and Climate Change (MWLECC). In the short-term, the Climate Change Division (CCD) within the MWLECC, has the administrative oversight and responsibility for climate change initiatives. In the medium term, a Climate Change Department is to be established. A Climate Change Focal Point Network is also to be established, composed of focal points appointed in all ministries, selected departments and agencies, and representatives of civil society and private groups.
The MWLECC is to present to Cabinet an annual report on measures that have been undertaken to implement this Policy Framework and, after five years, the Policy Framework should be publicly reviewed.
The Policy Framework also identifies a number of Special Initiatives for early implementation:
- Special Initiative for Water Resources Management
- Special Initiative for Low Carbon Development
- Special Initiative for Disaster Risk Financing
- Special Initiative for Ecosystem Protection
- Special Initiative for Land Use Planning
- Special Initiative for Communication