Immediate climate action programme for 2022
This programme replaces the Action Programme on Climate Protection 2020.
Published by the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety, and adopted by cabinet, the Action Programme on Climate Protection 2020 contains measures to be implemented by 2020 in order to reach Germany's goal of cutting GHGs by at least 40% compared with 1990 levels. It comprises nine main components:
- National Energy Efficiency Action Plan (NAPE)
- Strategy on climate-friendly building and housing
- Measures in the transport sector
- Reduction in non-energy related emissions in:
- Industry, commerce/trade/services and waste management
- Emissions trading reform
- Further measures, especially in the electricity sector
The action programme will lead to a reduction of 62m-78m tonnes CO2 equivalent in 2020 compared with the current projection for 2020. In addition to this a further 3m-4m tonnes can be saved through soft, cross-sectoral measures, which means that the programme can bring about a total reduction of 82m tonnes.
40% cut in GHG emissions by 2020 against a 1990 baseline