Notre Affaire à Tous and Others v. France
Jurisdiction: Administrative Court of Paris
Principle law(s): 2020 Climate and Energy Package (contains Directive 2009/29/EC, Directive 2009/28/EC, Directive 2009/31/EC and Decision No. 406/2009/EC of the Parliament and the Council ; see below)
Side A: Fondation pour la Nature et l’Homme (Ngo)
Side A: Greenpeace France (Ngo)
Side A: Notre Affaire à Tous (Ngo)
Side A: Oxfam France (Ngo)
Side B: France (Government)
2. Take, at least, all necessary measures to achieve France's targets for reducing greenhouse gas emissions, developing renewable energies and increasing energy efficiency;
3. Take the necessary measures to adapt the national territory to the effects of climate change;
4. Take the necessary measures to protect citizens’ lives and health from the risks of climate change.
On June 26th, 2020, the ministry for the ecological transition asked the administrative court's judge to dismiss the request. According to the plaintiffs, the government asserted that it was taking action to address greenhouse gas emissions, and that the time has not elapsed for it to meet its 2020 goals. The government's response will be posted when it becomes available.
- Plaintiff's reply to the State's arguments (French)
- Letter of Formal Notice to Officials (French)
- Unofficial summary of "summary request" (French)
- English press release for summary request (English)
- press release (English)
- Letter of Formal Notice (in English), unofficial translation from Filippo P. Fantozzi and the legal strategy team of Notre Affaire à Tous (English)
- Unofficial translation of the Brief Juridique submitted to the Administrative Court of Paris on March 14, 2019. Translation is courtesy of Marine Yzquierdo and the Legal Strategy Team of Notre Affaire à Tous. (English)
Related laws and policies
2020 Climate and Energy Package (contains Directive 2009/29/EC, Directive 2009/28/EC, Directive 2009/31/EC and Decision No. 406/2009/EC of the Parliament and the Council ; see below)
In 2007 EU leaders endorsed an integrated approach to climate and energy policy that aims to combat climate change and increase energy security while strengthening its competitiveness. In 2008 the European Commission proposed binding legislation to implement the 20-20-20 targets. This 'climate an...