Third Energy Package (Directive on electricity 2009/72/EC, repealing Directive 2003/54/EC and Directive on gas 2009/73/EC, repealing Directive 2003/55/EC)
- regulates transmission network ownership by ensuring a clear separation of supply and production activities from network operation through three models of organisation: full 'ownership unbundling', independent system operator and independent transmission operator;
- ensures more effective regulatory oversight from truly independent national energy regulators, strengthening and harmonising the competences and the independence of national regulators so as to allow effective and non-discriminatory access to the transmission networks;
- reinforces consumer protection and ensures the protection of vulnerable consumers;
- regulates third party access to gas storage and liquefied natural gas (LNG) facilities, and lays down rules concerning transparency and regular reporting about gas reserves;
- promotes regional solidarity by requiring Member States to co-operate in the event of severe disruptions of gas supply, by co-ordinating national emergency measures and developing gas interconnections.
Directive 2019/692 amends Directive 2009/73/EC (on gas markets).