National Economic and Social Development Plan (2021 and 2022)
- formulate implementation plans for sectors such as energy, industry, urban and rural development, transport, and agriculture and rural areas as well as for key industries
- Formulate support plans in the fields of science and technology, budgeting, finance, carbon absorption capacity, statistical accounting, personnel training, and inspection and evaluation
- Develop hydropower "in accordance with local conditions" and develop nuclear power "while ensuring absolute safety"
- Ensure energy efficiency compliance among coal-fired power plants and carry out coordinated transformation of such plants to improve their energy efficiency, heating supply systems, and power flexibility
- Promote energy conservation and carbon reduction in key fields and launch initiatives in key industries such as iron and steel, electrolytic aluminum, cement, plate glass, oil refinery, ethylene, synthetic ammonia, and calcium carbide
- Encourage deeper integration between emerging technologies and green, low-carbon industries and transform the industrial structure from high carbon to low carbon
- Advocate a simple, modest, green, low-carbon, and healthy lifestyle to rein in carbon emissions at the source
- Establish a carbon emissions statistical accounting system with unified standards
- Refine regulations and institutions governing the national market for trading carbon emission rights to strengthen supervision over enterprises and third-party organisations
- Advance pilot programs for building low-carbon cities and for investing in and financing the response to climate change, and build up climate change response capacities at the local level
The document also stresses that China will continue to actively engage in international climate negotiations and global green governance, "and step up international cooperation in the areas of green economy, trade, technology, and finance."