National Strategy for Development of the Forestry Sector in the Republic of Bulgaria for the period 2013 - 2020
1. Ensure sustainable development of the forestry sector by achieving an optimal balance between environmental functions and provision of long-term economic benefits and services
2. Enhance the role of forests in the economic growth of the country and balanced regional socio-economic development
3. Increase the contribution of the forest sector in the green economy'.
The corresponding priorities are:
1. Maintaining healthy, productive and multifunctional forest ecosystems that contribute to mitigating climate change
2. Conservation, restoration and maintenance of biological and landscape diversity in forest areas
3. Enhancing the vitality and competitiveness of the forest sector
4. Exploiting the potential of the forest sector to contribute to development of green economy."
16% share of renewable energy in the gross final consumption of the country after 2020.
Increase forest area by afforestation of abandoned agricultural land, bare and deforested areas, eroded and endangered by erosion. Indicator: 1.4
31.12.2011 total area 4 148 114 ha, wooded area: 3 774 778 ha 31.12.2010 Total stock: 644 840 247 m3 Total stock: 202 million tons by 2020